I have had a little triumph today! As I have got more confident as a baker I have found its easier to play with recipes and make them my own, this recipe I saw on 'Something For The Weekend" and originally it was a coffee and blueberry cake. As Luca is the only person in our house that likes blueberries and I hate any cake or dessert that is coffee related, but loved the idea of the crumble topping I decided to mod this recipe a little.
As you can see I have replaced the blueberries for raspberries and changed the coffee for milk just incase without it the cake became a little dry. Well I threw it all together and hoped for the best. The result was a resounding success, a gorgeous fruity moist cake with a sweet crispy topping, perfection.
As you can tell, I am very happy with this cake and think I may have to try the recipe as muffins, I think they would be just perfect.
For the crumble topping
• 50g/2oz caster sugar
• 75g/2¾oz light brown sugar
• 150g/6oz plain flour
• 75g/3oz butter, cubed
For the cake
• 250g/8oz plain flour
• 225g/8oz raspberries
• 150g/5oz butter, softened
• 150g/5oz caster sugar
• 3 free-range eggs
• 150ml/5fl oz soured cream
• 50ml milk
• 1 lemon, zest only
• 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways and seeds scraped out
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease and line a 23cm/9in cake tin.
2. For the crumble topping, mix the sugars and flour together in a bowl, then rub in the butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
3. For the cake, sprinkle a little of the flour over the raspberries and mix together.
4. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Beat in the soured cream, milk and lemon zest. Fold in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, vanilla and raspberries.
5. Spoon the mixture into the cake tin, smooth the top, then sprinkle over the crumble topping. Bake in the oven for 1-1¼ hours, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.